St. Joseph's Children's Home is an agency of social ministry in the Catholic tradition. We are committed to the whole child, assisting in spiritual, emotional, academic and physical growth. Adhering to Christian principles, our mission is to provide comprehensive behavioral services to children and families in Wyoming and the surrounding region.
St. Joseph's was founded as an orphanage in 1930 by Bishop Patrick McGovern. The orphanage housed up to 100 children and was staffed by priests and Sisters of St. Francis of Assisi of Milwaukee who adopted St. Joseph's as their mission. In 1971, the mission of St. Joseph's moved towards a treatment program for emotionally disturbed children and was renamed St. Joseph's Children's Home. The Newell Children's Center was opened in 1993 and is a twelve bed co-educational secure treatment facility for youth in crisis. In 1996, the 4-H Program and Horse Program were revitalized as therapeutic activities for children. Also in 1996, St. Joseph's becomes the first non-hospital based program to achieve JCAHO accreditation in Wyoming. In August 2002, the Hart Children's Center, a residential living unit was officially completed and opened. The St. John Bosco Children's Center was officially completed and opened in November 2004.